Sunday, April 8, 2007

It is hard to find the time and subject matter to post. This is funny to me because I certainly can find the subject matter to babble about on other blogs. Anyway, here is a story of my life as a zookeeper.

A week ago this Thursday, I went to the doctor. My friend's wife is my doctor and a total sweetie. This combined with the fact that she has broken her knee and can't lift it, make her totally vulnerable. She always hugs me when she sees me. Then, there is the mention of a favor that her hubby (the coward) wants her to ask me and she totally feels bad b/c it is the last minute etc. They are apparently going to Hilton Head for Spring Break and the hubby forgot to arrange care for the new puppy and ancient dog. It is too late to get a kennel and hubby said I would probably be happy to do it. You know, I have no life b/c I am single. Forget the two jobs etc. I could not tell her no, something I have been working on since.

Leading up to this catastrophe, my friend continued to harass me about how I needed to be there with the pets and not working all the time or at the gym. He even told me I could just workout on their treadmill. I have been to the house before to watch his daughters so I was aware that they are not the anal retentive housekeeper that I am. What however, they failed to mention is that the dogs poop on the floor, sometimes several times a day. There also doesn't appear to be anything to clean it up with. I hate cats and am allergic. There are two.... and a rabbit... and a coop full of chickens that need to be fed and eggs picked up. Did I mention, I am not an animal person? Also, the eggs need to be washed so you get all the poo off before they can go in the fridge. I have given up eating eggs.

I am exhausted and repulsed. The good news is I am too grossed out to eat so this gig is great for my diet. The house smells like a dog/rabbit/cat and I have almost used a bottle of febreze. I keep spraying my caramel room freshener in my room but I set of the smoke detector last night with it.

Here is the thing, my friend knows me and I have no doubt that he is sitting in the sun, laughing his twisted head off about me, city girl and slave to shopping, cleaning up animal poo. There better be a big cash payoff. This is hard work and my schedule is rearranged. I need to work out but the treadmill is in the basement which smells of animal feces. Meanwhile, my apt got cleaned in the middle of all this and I yearn for it. Eight days of this nightmare.

Last night I went to the local bar to eat, totally oblivious to the fact that I was there alone, just happy to have food, beer, music, and strangers to talk to. I would love to write more but I must feed the chickens and eradicate poo from the eggs.

15 comments:

Amy said...

I thought I would set the comments in motion by mentioning that I was in the chicken coop the first morning in $100 jeans wondering if this was my punishment for all the bad things I have done. And who has chickens anyway?

liz said...

omg, amy, chickens, rabbits, dogs and cats -- oh my...this sounds like a poop festival. eight days? say it isn't so?? seriously, dude, i hope they are paying you. this is too much for anyone, friend or no friend. maybe its worth hiring someone else to take care of them and just take credit for it???
keep posting. you are too hilarious.

liz said...

by the way, it's too bad you live so far away. we could be single and have no lives together ...
;-)

Amy said...

I am sure you were kidding but just for the record, I am plenty busy. I just don't think everyone realizes that!! I watch one hour of tv per work. I spend all wknd working and envy people sitting home relaxing, watching sports, movies etc. I like the cash though so I can't complain too much. Yes, they are paying me. And even though they aren't too tidy, I have not known them to be cheap. I have watched their kids a few times and been paid handsomely. The kids are great. The pets, not so much. They would have had to pay about $600 plus to kennel those dogs from my calculations plus the care of the other animals so I see some shopping in my future!! Thanks for the support.

Motownrunner said...

I definitely would mention the hundred dollar jeans to them. casually, of course. by the way, have i seen these jeans? i want to see them. i need some new jeans. my faves are almostly complety decomposed. i still think you should put up a webcam of you and the chickens so we can watch you from my blog. i know. it's like 4 a.m. i can't sleep... talk to you later. mb

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

They are just Lucky Brand Jeans but they fit me well so I like them. Jeans are a pain to find. I wasn't trying to talk about what stuff costs, I just found it ironic as I was standing there. You don't know me that well but I am not good with fluids and functions. Dirt/mud I can deal with. I am not afraid to get my hands dirty but chicken poo on them grosses me out.

liz said...

you deserve a medal. seriously. and lucky brand jeans are the bomb. most comfy jeans ever. makes them worth the $100.

Amy said...

You are right Liz. It is well worth it when they fit. I knew I liked you!!

Motownrunner said...

what are you going to do with your windfall once this is over? i hope a day at the spa is on your list. and a trip to detroit to say hi to your blog friends!

Amy said...

I know one friend who could offer to meet me somewhere instead of expecting me to drive all the way to F!! No names though.

liz said...

almost over? how are the poopy eggs?

Amy said...

They told me they were coming back Wed and oops, mistake, they came back tues. I was glad about being done but a little perturbed at the bad info.

liz said...

so i see you still hate to blog?

liz said...

So I arrive Friday Aug. 24, about 11-ish a.m., and leave Monday Aug. 27 about 7-ish p.m.
I am really looking forward to meeting you -- in person! M says great things about you, Amy.